Saturday, March 16, 2013

Bald Eagle Mini Art Quilt

I recently completed my first art quilt in my first art quilt swap. In returned, I received a beautiful art quilt of a manatee, which is my daughter's favorite animal. This prompted me to want to make another art quilt, but of one of my son's favorite animals, the bald eagle.



I found a neat printable on-line that had the body parts divided with what colors to use. I didn't want my bald eagle to be an exact replica, but I wanted it to be close, and  fun!  I love how the star fabrics are  light and dark, like day and night. And, as a bonus, I had everything already in my stash!   The loops for hanging was fabric I had, which coordinates with fabric used in the manatee quilt!

It measures about 15" wide by 13" high. 

Close up of the eagle:

 It was also my first time sewing things that small for something like this, as well as the detail of my machine going around the eagle. I chose to sew it after I put it together so the eagle is quilted on the back (the darker stars).  I used the invisible close on the last side to sew it up. I'm still getting the hang of that!  And, since what I had in the house was the heat resistant stuff you'd use in pot holders, etc, I used that instead of quilt  batting..so, I guess in  a pinch I could use it.....*gasp!* NO!! just kidding Smiley

Thanks for looking!  PS, sorry they are posted the wrong way...they shouldn't be!

No comments:

Post a Comment