Friday, April 4, 2014

Rainy Day Dolly Amigurimi



I've finished up my sudden onslaught of custom orders (happy customers!) and I've been working on crafts for family and Craftster craft swaps I'm in. My latest amigurimi, and quite possibly, most impressive amigurimi to date is this sweet girl. I followed (mostly) patterns found in the booklet "Crochet Your Own Dolls and Accessories" that I picked up at my local JoAnn Fabrics about 3 weeks ago. I was waiting for the perfect opportunity to create one of these dolls and its accessories, and when my husband's cousin's daughter (get that?) had a birthday coming up...sweet girl is turning 3! I know that this was the perfect opportunity. Of course, I probably should have given myself more than a week to crochet this, because now my wrist is not thanking me. Spending days on end so I can make the perfect gift, while it sounds so sweet and thoughtful in theory, it isn't the best use of my time. Why? Well, because I now need to take a time out from crocheting!

Anyway, I started working this doll, I thought it would be fun to use a darker brown yarn. I am a big fan of diversity! The pattern book said she should work out to about 13". I must be using a heavier yarn, or a bigger hook, because this girl is about 20." Her long legs (she could be a Rockette!)are about 8" long! I found it amusing that the pattern gives these dolls hips, but I followed along, because, after all, I wanted the clothing accessories to fit! As I started working her body, she looked so much like a Planter's peanut. You know, the ones that sing and dance? It was so funny. But, one I finally added the arms, and especially the hair, quite the little dolly lady she was becoming.

The pattern booklet had about 4 doll patterns to choose from, and an outfit for each, and then some accessories. Each pattern had a different hair style and so I mixed and matched to my delight. I love how the black hair is curly. Wanna know a secret? Mine is too!

You know the old adage, "April Showers Bring May Flowers?" Boy I'd like to see those flowers because these past few days have been super rainy. The perfect days to dress her in rain gear! While I have been crocheting now for about 2 years, I for larger projects, I have mostly stayed with afghans (I love 'em.) but have been wanting to make clothes. So I did! I made her a rain coat (yellow, of course!), rain boots (yellow, of course!), a yellow rain hat, and an adorable blue skirt. She's ready to go and dance in the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment