Wednesday, December 19, 2012

600 Monsters Strong for Sandy Hook---Count Me In!


I know everyone has taken the CT shooting so difficult. The senseless murder of young children is so hard swallow. It's hit me so much harder than I ever would have imagined, I think, because of how much I relate to these families. Savannah is in 1st grade. I had, just an hour before, been at Savannah's school, dropping off cupcakes, and while she was at recess, I spoke to her teacher who said she was feeling sad and missing me. I left her a note. Then, just after dropping Jarron off at school, I learn of these shootings. It was too much, too soon. And, to top it all off, Savannah was having her birthday over the same weekend. She was turning 7, and I just couldn't stop thinking of these parents whose kids won't be turning 7. I keep thinking of these parents who may have presents under the tree already for their kids. Of these kids who were probably excited for the weekend. I'm sure each of us thinks of the same things. I am grieving so hard over this. I think I feel even some survivor guilt. I think I am too empathetic. But...... I was introduced to the group that is knitting/crocheting "monsters" (so that monsters won't always be scary to these surviving kids), and while I have only made one amigurimi before, I am working on at least one for this cause. Being proactive, and doing something to help this community is helping. And, I'm happy to say, that today, I've completed the ears, and the head! And, while my ami may not be one that is given to one of the surviving children at Sandy Hook, (there's a huge outpour of support!), it will give comfort and joy to a child somewhere. It feels good to do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment